About Me

My photo
I am a Christian. I am a loving wife to my Army-National-Guard-Recruiter-Husband of 15 years. I am a stay-at-home-mother to our four handsome sons. I am a photographer. My blog is about as erratic, eclectic and random as I am, painted with rainbows of photos and words that are hills and valleys you travel; so lovely sometimes that they hurt you. These are the stories of how far we've come in the last 15 years as Christians, as a family and as individuals.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Hasty Tongue {Day 4}


Day Four - The Hasty Tongue
Do you see a man hasty in his words?  There is more hope for a fool than him - Proverbs 29:20

Do you sometimes offend others because you do not engage your brain before shifting your tongue into drive?  Have you ever made a commitment to God or man without giving it much consideration and later reneged on it?  The communication of the hasty tongue is done too quickly to be thoughtful or wise.
Offending in Haste:  No matter how holy we are, we will eventually offend somebody because of hasty speech.  For in many things we offend all.  If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. - James 3:2 Because we can never be totally aware of all of the sensitivities of others, we must depend upon the Holy Spirit to direct our speech in a way that does not tap into their pain, distress or other negative experiences.  We must realize that everyone has a  different sensitivity level depending upon his experiences.  Try to practice not being easily offended and give others the benefit of the doubt when they make a hasty remark that might otherwise be offensive.
Responding in Haste:  The Bible cautions, He who answers before listening -- that is his folly and his shame - Proverbs 18:3
Committing in Haste:  God does not want us to be flaky.  He expects us to keep our promises, our word.  Do not be rash with your mouth, and let not you heart utter anything hastily before God - Ecclesiastes 5:2 Scripture goes on to explain that we should not try to wiggle out of our commitment by saying that it was a mistake.  Stop, think and pray before you speak.  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak - James 1:19  Have you ever wondered why God gave us two ears and only one mouth?  Perhaps we are to spend twice as much time listening than talking.  Time and words are two things that, once gone, can never be recovered.

Today's Affirmation:
I am swift to hear and slow to speak.  The Lord has set a guard over my mouth and He keeps watch over the door of my lips.

I have surely turned this affirmation into a prayer!  It will be in my best interest to write it on a post card and carry it around with me or tape it to my mirror to remind me to ask for assistance in this area every single day!  How about you?  Do you struggle with a hasty tongue?

No comments: