About Me

My photo
I am a Christian. I am a loving wife to my Army-National-Guard-Recruiter-Husband of 15 years. I am a stay-at-home-mother to our four handsome sons. I am a photographer. My blog is about as erratic, eclectic and random as I am, painted with rainbows of photos and words that are hills and valleys you travel; so lovely sometimes that they hurt you. These are the stories of how far we've come in the last 15 years as Christians, as a family and as individuals.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Slandering Tongue {Day 9}


Day Nine - The Slandering Tongue
To hide hatred is to be a liar; to slander is to be a fool - Proverbs 10:18

Slanderers make malicious, false, or even true statements about others with the intent of damaging their reputation, character, or good name.  Anyone can be tempted to denigrate another.  One thing that we can be assured of is that there won't be any slanderers in heaven.  Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary?  Who may live on your holy hill?  He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur in his fellowman - Psalm 15:1-3 
Can you recall a time in which you made detracting remarks about someone?  What was your motive in doing so?  Why did you feel the need to diminish that person's character in the eyes of another?  Were you speaking out of the pain of being hurt by her?  Did you envy her accomplishments?  If so, have you not learned how to let your envy motivate you to achieve your own goals rather than cause you to defame another?  It is likely you grudgingly admire and desire something that the other person possesses.
Resorting to slander is clear evidence that one has not embraced certain of God's promises.  For instance, because of Psalm 75:6-7, I know for certain that promotions and exaltation come from God rather than man.  The truth causes me to be a team player.  There is no reason for me to snuff out anybody's light so that mine will shine.  Further, God has declared that no man can thwart his purpose for our lives.
The Lord Almighty has spoken -- who can change his plans?  When his hand moves, who can stop him? - Isaiah 14:27
The Greek word for "slander" is derived from diabolos, which means "devil."  Slandering is an illegal, diabolical act that God abhors.  When we attempt to defame others with our denigrating words, we are sowing evil seeds for which we will surely reap the consequences.  He who guards his mouth preserves his life, but he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction - Proverbs 13:3

Today's Affirmation:
I refuse to be a slanderer.  I will use Philippians 4:8 as my conversation sifter.  Therefore, whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, and of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy about someone, I comment only on these things.


No comments: