About Me

My photo
I am a Christian. I am a loving wife to my Army-National-Guard-Recruiter-Husband of 15 years. I am a stay-at-home-mother to our four handsome sons. I am a photographer. My blog is about as erratic, eclectic and random as I am, painted with rainbows of photos and words that are hills and valleys you travel; so lovely sometimes that they hurt you. These are the stories of how far we've come in the last 15 years as Christians, as a family and as individuals.

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Retaliating Tongue {Day 24}


Day Twenty-Four - The Retaliating Tongue
Don't repay evil for evil.  Don;t retaliate when people say unkind things about you.  Instead, pay them back with a blessing.  That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it - 1 Peter 3:9

There is nothing as easy as verbal retaliation.  Of course, the thrill of it is only a fleeting pleasure for those who love God; the remorse for succumbing to this sin tends to linger.  The root meaning of the word "retaliate" is to "return the punishment."  The Bible is very clear in admonishing us to avoid retaliation.
Never pay back evil for evil to anyone.  Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable.  Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible.  Dear friends, never avenge yourselves.  Leave that to God.  For it is written, "I will take vengeance; I will repay those who deserve it," says the Lord - Romans 12:17-19
Try to stay mindful of the fact that when we decide that it is our personal responsibility to avenge the wrongs perpetrated against us, we have crossed the boundary into forbidden territory.

Today's Affirmation:
I will not repay evil for evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this I have been called so that I may inherit a blessing.


No comments: