About Me

My photo
I am a Christian. I am a loving wife to my Army-National-Guard-Recruiter-Husband of 15 years. I am a stay-at-home-mother to our four handsome sons. I am a photographer. My blog is about as erratic, eclectic and random as I am, painted with rainbows of photos and words that are hills and valleys you travel; so lovely sometimes that they hurt you. These are the stories of how far we've come in the last 15 years as Christians, as a family and as individuals.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Self-Absorbed Tongue {Day 21}


Day Twenty-One - The Self-Absorbed Tongue
Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others - Philippians 2:4

Are most of your conversations with others centered on you and your issues?  A self-absorbed tongue will surely alienate others as almost everyone desires to be the focus of attention occasionally.  trying to have a relationship with a self-absorbed person is like trying to hug a porcupine.  Become aware of this character flaw in your communication.  Ask God to make you genuinely interested in others. 
If you find yourself involved with a self-absorbed person, try asking them to give you some advice or input about an issue that does not involve him.  If he attempts to direct the conversation to himself, quickly acknowledge his concern about the matter but change the subject to something that is not about him.  For instance, you may say, "I'm sure that this issue really concerns you.  Did you hear about...?"  If he persists, you would do well to muster the courage to say, "I really don't want to talk about that today."  You may need to be a broken record as you attempt these strategies.  After all, self-absorption dies hard.
If you admit to being the self-absorbed type, turn your desires for attention, ego boosting, and other selfish needs over to your Heavenly Shepherd, who supplies all your needs.  Make a conscientious effort to become "others absorbed."  Challenge yourself to go a whole day or more without making your issues the focus of your communication.  Give everyone you converse with your full attention, and watch your relationship deepen.

Today's Affirmation:
I look not only to my own interests, but to the interests of others.  Therefore, my issues are not the primary topic of my conversations.




No comments: